Born: August 6, 1936 (age 74)
Origin: Waterbury, Connecticut
Years active: 1960 – present
Labels: Diorio Records, RAM Records
Joseph Louis Diorio (born August 6, 1936, Waterbury, Connecticut, USA) is an American jazz guitarist. He has performed with legends of jazz like Sonny Stitt, Eddie Harris, Ira Sullivan, Stan Getz, Pat Metheny, Horace Silver, and Freddie Hubbard. In recent years he also recorded albums with modern performers like Robben Ford, Gary Willis, David Becker and fellow guitar education legend Mick Goodrick.
Following in the footsteps of an uncle, Diorio took up the guitar, studying formally in the early 50s at a local music school. He worked for a while with local bands, but in the early 60s he ventured into New York City where he played with several jazz musicians.
In April 2005 he struggled to regain the full use of his left hand following a stroke he suffered at his West Coast residence in San Clemente.
Diorio currently teaches at the University of Southern California. He was also one of the first instructors for the Guitar Institute of Technology. He has published several instructional books and videos, and has released 10 albums under his name.
- Solo Guitar (Spitball 1973)
- Rapport – with Wally Cirillo (Spitball 1974)
- Solo-Duo – with Cirillo (Spitball 1976)
- Straight Ahead To The Light – with Steve Bagby (Spitball 1976)
- Peaceful Journey (Spitball 1977)
- Bonita (Zdenek 1980)
- 20th Century Impressions – with Jeff Berlin, Vinnie Colaiuta (J Disc 1981)
- Earth Moon Earth (Nocturne 1987)
- Italy (MGI 1989)
- Minor Elegance – with Robben Ford (MGI 1990)
- Double Take – with Riccardo Del Fra (Ram 1992)
- We Will Meet Again (Ram 1992)
- Rare Birds – with Mick Goodrick (Ram 1993)
- The Breeze And I – with Ira Sullivan (Ram 1993)
- Quartet Narayani – with Hal Crook (Ram 1994)
- More Than Friends – with Steve La Spina, Steve Bagby (Ram 1994)
- To Jobim With Love (Ram 1995)
- I Remember You: A Tribute To Wes Montgomery (Ram 1998)
- Stateside (Diorio Jazz 2000)
- Joe Diorio Live (Diorio Jazz 2002)
As a mentor
- The Color of Sound – David Becker & Joe Diorio(Acoustic Music – 2005)
- Alone Together – Eric Leboucher-Radiguet & Joe Diorio (Djazz 2003)
- Under the Influence – Pino Marrone