Nelson Faria, born March 23, 1963 in Belo Horizonte, is one of the most important guitarist and musician in Brazil.
He has performed in more than 30 different countries and has worked with artists like João Bosco, Till Broenner, Ivan Lins, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Milton Nascimento, Lars Jansson, Paulo Moura, Leila Pinheiro, Leny Andrade, Wagner Tiso among others.
Faria studied with guitarists Joe Diorio, Frank Gambale, Ted Greene, Scott Henderson, and Joe Pass at the Guitar Institute of Technology in California. He has led workshops in Brazil and the U.S. and written several guitar instruction books.
Nelson Faria taught for 12 years at the Universidade Estácio de Sá (Brazil) and in 2010 he moved to Sweden working as a guest professor at Örebro University. He has also taught clinics at the Berklee College of Music (USA), IAJE (USA); University of Southern California, San Francisco State University, GIT (USA), Göteborgs Universitet, (Sweden) Manhattan School of Music (USA), Codarts Conservatory (NL), Amsterdam Conservatory (NL), Malmo Universitet (Sweden), KMH (Sweden) and others.
In 2001 he joined the BMI Jazz workshops studying with Manny Albam, Jim McNeely and Michael Abene.
He has worked as arranger for The Orquestra Jazz Sinfonica (SP), KMH Jazz Orchestra (Sweden), CODARTS Jazz Orchestra (NL), Orquestra Bons Fluidos, UMO Jazz Orchestra (Finland), Hr-Bigband (Germany), Frost Jazz Orchestra (USA), Amsterdam Conservatory Big Band and others.
- Ioiô (Perfil, 1993)
- Beatles, um tributo Brasileiro (1998)
- Janelas Abertas (Lumiar Discos, 1999)
- Tres/Three (self-release, 2000)
- Nelson Faria (self-release, 2003)
- Vento Bravo (self-release, 2005)
- Buxixo with Gilson Peranzzetta (Delira, 2009)
- Leila Pinheiro, Banda Pequi e Nelson Faria (UFG, 2010)
- Nelson Faria & Frankfurt Radio Big Band Live in Frankfurt (2011)
- Céu e mar (Far Out, 2012)
- Na esquina de Mestre Mignone with Gustavo Tavares (2012)
- Toques de Mestre (Giannini SA, 1990)
- Nosso Trio Live (Delira, 2006)
- A Arte da Improvisação (Lumiar Editora, 1991)
- The Brazilian Guitar Book (Sher Music, 1996)
- Escalas, Arpejos e Acordes para violao e guitarra (Lumiar Editora, 1999)
- Inside the Brazilian Rhythm Section (Sher Music, 2002)
- Toque Junto Bossa Nova (Lumiar Editora, 2008)
- Harmonia Aplicada ao Violão e à Guitarra (Vitale, 2010)